National Service Scheme (NSS)
National Service Scheme (NSS) is the programme run by the ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports in Central Government and Department of Higher & Technical Education in State government. The primary objective of this scheme is the overall personality development of students through community service. It works with an aim to arouse the social consciousness of the students and to provide them an opportunity to work with people in the villages and slums.
The broad objectives of NSS are to:
• understand the community in which they work
• understand themselves in relation to their community;
• identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process;
• develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
• develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities;
• gain skills in mobilizing community participation;
• acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
• develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
• practice national integration and social harmony.
Scope of NSS:
• Initiate programmes such as Blood Donation Camps, Anti-Pollution drives, Voting Registrations etc.
• Ensure student participation in community service
• Enter into understandings with NGO’s to work for the benefit of society
• Arrange guest lectures and seminars by eminent philanthropists to enhance awareness on Volunteering
• Initiate NSS and NCC, after obtaining the necessary permissions, to build a student base of volunteers
• Observe special days like World AIDS day
• Organize events to increase awareness among community members and involve them in social work so that they can work hand-in-glove with students
• Establish NSS Unit and engage in its activities
• The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is: ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’.
• This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service.
• and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings.
Four NSS units are established in the University under the guidance of followingProgramme Officers:
• Er. Gurjinder Singh, Assistant Professor (Eelctronics Engg.),
• Er. Gaganpreet Kaur, Assistant Professor (CSE),
• Dr.MukeshKanwar Assistant Professor (Environmental Sciences),
• Ms. Kamaljeet Kaur Sarao, Assistant Professor (MCA).
Various events organized under NSS in session 2014-15 as below:
• Tree Plantation Drive on 11-08-2014 in university Campus.
• Blood Donation Camp on 29-08-2014 in university Campus.
• Sirhind Cleanliness Campaign on 05-11-2014 in Sirhind city.
• Tree Plantation Drive on 05-11-2014 in university Campus.
• Swach Bharat Abhiyaan drive on 2nd October 2014
The Enrollment Form can be downloaded here.